Friday, January 29, 2010

Abby- once a mama's girl, always a mama's girl..... I hope.

My daughter Abby is sixteen.  I really can't believe the time has flown by that quickly. I know everyone says time slips away and before you know it their grown, but it really is true.  Many days I try to figure out how Abby suddenly went from being a chubby little toddler to a beautiful woman.  It honestly feels as if time has sped up and it's a mad dash to the finish line.  
When Abby was born, she was a breath of fresh air to me.  After watching my two boys wrestle and jump and play with reckless abandon, it was nice to have a sweet little girl to put nice things on.  That was a quick passing dream to think her clothes would stay nice and pristine, but hey, a mom can dream.  Abby was such a calm and complacent child.  She was easy to take care of, very rarely fussed and was just fun to have with me.  When she was still nursing, I would sit in the back row and nurse her under a blanket.  I thought i was being discreat.  However, as soon as Abby latched on and started sucking, EVERYONE could hear her and knew exactly what she was doing.  It was like a vacume on high speed with gulping as loud as a train.  Gulp, slurp, gulp, gulp, sigh....... slurp.  Sheesh!  So much for being discreat.  When Abby finally would come up for air, her little cheeks would be so rosy and she'd look around at everyone as if to say "that was awesome".   
There were times however, that I needed a break and would try to leave Abby with my mom.  That went over like a lead balloon on Jupiter.  She would have none of it.  The minute she got wind of me making plans she would start crying. I couldn't leave her with anyone because she would scream and carry on.  I'm not talking about a little whimpering. I'm talking about ear piercing screams that would make the neighbors think she was getting beat.  She would hold on with a death grip so that it would take two people to pry her away.  Thank goodness she grew out of that.  It would look pretty silly if she was still doing that now I suppose.  
I really have no complaints about Abby, even as a sixteen year old teenager with a very active social life.  She has turned out to be a very responsible girl for the most part.  I'm not naive enough to think she tells me everything that is going on in her life, but i'd say for the most part, i know the important stuff.  I love that she wants to sit and watch T.V with me at night or dance around the kitchen with me.  One of the nicest things is that she never seems to be embarrassed by me in front of her friends.  And believe me, I can be quite embarrassing.  I'm proud of my daughter and I won't complain if she always has a little bit of a mama's girl in her.

1 comment:

  1. I hope that Alissa and I have the same relationship you do with Abby!

    ReplyDelete