Saturday, June 5, 2010

Kids say the darndest things.

 One of my college age sons (I have two and it wasn't the oldest) came to Ron and I the other night and said "So, I want to live at Grams for the summer".   Now, I don't know if he was expecting me to be upset, or cry.....  he has very valid reasons why he wants to.  Well, valid for an 18 year old.  In his world he sees it as a hard transition to go from being away at college to coming back into the fold and being required to say, weedwack or mow or whatnot.  Even eating what I prepare for dinner is not fun for him because he has been at Culinary school.  Soooooo  he wants to be 'free' of the ol ball and chain like his big brother was at that age.    Back to how I feel about this.   I say " fine with me bucko".    First of all, I know that there will be guidelines of what he can and can't do at grams.  Grandpa isn't always the most fun person to be with and Grandma eats Gluten free so if he wants something Yummy he will have to fend for himself.  Ha!  I'm seriously giddy!  I know, he will NEVER, EVER, EVER tell me it's not going well for him down there if that is where he makes his bed, but that's ok.  He has to remember, I grew up at grandma's house, well yeah, it was my moms but same thing.  He also has to understand that it's just as hard for  us to get used to him being back as it is for him to come back.  We ALL have our own routine.  However, where I was willing to make some concessions, like give him his own room and move everyone around, he still felt the need to bolt.  Ahhhh the tempestuous teenager.  
Now his biggest challenge will be for him to actually aquire a job AND get the car that we gave to him on the road, pay for insurance and make enough money to put gas in his car.  Ok, he sort of might have a job.  I'll give him that.  He talked to a guy who needs house painters.  BUT he hasn't talked to him since and even if he does get the job, he is wholly dependant on the weather.Almost working doesn't pay the bills... at least not at our house.  Maybe it's different in the real world.  I don't like to go there often, it's not a fun place.
Soooo  this whole moving transition thing isn't going to happen overnight but that is what he would like to do.   It's going to be all up to him and Grandma AND Grandpa, and the latter might not be so easy to convince it's a good idea. 
Anyway, that is my life right now.  Well, part of my life.  Kids are awesome, aren't they?  Most of the time, yes..... then there are the times when you just have to say "welcome to the real world".

No comments:

Post a Comment