Tuesday, June 8, 2010

C'est la Vie

I find it interesting at how different the Christian view on things can be. I have found over the years that what one person or group of people believe to be the most important part of scripture can vary quite wide.  I'm not talking about the basics of Christianity or the differences between Muslims and Christians.  I'm strictly talking about bible believing folks.  Those of us that believe that God came in the form of man (Jesus) died on the cross to save us and forgave our sins and died and went to Heaven and that he also takes the form of the Holy Spirit and He dwells within us in that form.  Ok, now that we are all on the same page........
I have a friend who up until a couple years ago I thought that she and her husband had a direct line to God.  Seriously.  I hung on every word she said and agreed with her on everything relating to God and her thoughts on the subject.  After much growth and partly because I grew something called a backbone, I realized that I didn't have to necessarily agree with EVERYTHING she said and if I didn't it didn't mean I was less of a Christian.  I'm sure some would disagree with me about the less of a Christian part, but oh well.  Back to my thought..... There are just parts of being a Christian that I find to not be or shouldn't be such a huge issue.  Partly because it causes such a huge riff in the church and partly because I think the scripture can be interpreted differently on the subject.  What is this subject you might ask?  It's the whole gifts of the Holy Spirit thing.  Now don't get me wrong.  I do believe that there are gifts of the Holy Spirit.  I just don't always agree with those that think that is the be all end all part of being a Christian.  Ok, speaking in tongues......  that is a big one for some.  Personally I believe that the Holy Spirit gives each of us the gift of speaking in tongues if we needed it to edify someone.  BUT I believe the person would be able to understand what I was saying.  AND I don't think I would have to TRY to do it.  Let me give an example.  I think that if I was speaking to someone that didn't know English....  and I started praying for that person or trying to witness to that person, the Holy Spirit would give me the ability to speak or pray to that person in their language.  Otherwise what would be the purpose of speaking in tongues?  It doesn't do me any good because I can't understand what I'm saying and If it isn't in anyone elses language that I'm talking to it doesn't do them any good.  All it does is say "look at me, I'm more spiritual than you".  Nope, not going to agree there.   To be perfectly honest, I haven't studied ALL the different uses of speaking in tongues but honestly, am I going to be less of a Christian if I don't? I know there are those that would say "how can you call yourself a Christian if you don't believe that..."  all I can say is Oh well. 
The other thing that I've heard lately is that God doesn't allow bad things to happen, if bad things happen it's because the enemy has a hold on your life in some area.  I absolutely disagree with that one.  I don't think God WANTS bad things to happen, but I don't think that it's always because of sin in our lives or because we are allowing the devil into our lives that bad things do happen.  I think bad things happen because we live in a fallen world.  How we handle things is where our heart is. If we allow Christ to teach us through those tough times then awesome... if not then oh well.  How we deal with things sometimes shows unbelievers Christ better than anything else.  There is NO WAY someone could convince me that my Dad died because he allowed Satan in his life or had sin in his life.  I think he died because of  airplane failure and it was just time for him to go.  Also, I'm pretty sure I was closer to the Lord than I had ever been when I had Daniel so how would me doing something sinful play a part in why he was born the way he was?  First of all we sin all the time so with that logic we ALL would have sickness or bad things happening to us all the time, and second, Daniel has pointed my family and others to Christ MORE with his disabilities than if he had been born "normal". 
Oh golly, I guess I could go on and on, but I won't.  I just  had this discussion with someone and it got me all hot and bothered so I thought I'd write.......  if you disagree with me then I'm ok with that.  If you agree with me then I'm ok with that too.....   either way, pray for me because isn't that really the part that matters?

2 comments:

  1. so interesting that you choose to blog about this now. our sermon on Sunday touched upon 3rd John, and how you can change different things... no, not change, but interpret different statements in the bible so long as you recognize the larger, incontrovertible truths within Christianity. like, who cares *when* communion comes, or how long your prayers are, or if you even use a piano or a sitar or just a hymnal in your worship.

    let me be frank, and you can be Sally. The interesting note about spiritual gifts is that I do not believe that their time is past. And yeah, there are rules. You know the one that's most important about speaking in tongues? that a translator MUST be present and it CAN'T be you. without a translator the gift is considered possession. and I could give other examples of its uses that aren't related to witnessing or language barriers, but I come from a four square background.
    having been bestowed at one time with a hefty spiritual gift, I sincerely believe in them. providing they are delivered in a timely and relevant fashion and always are for the edification of Christ.

    and to the second thing, about the bad things=sinner? pfft, what bumpkin just off the turnip truck told you that? you are strong and smart. you worked it out yourself. don't waste breath on trying to convince someone of their stupidity.
    love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Holly, or should I say Frank? LOL. You are a wise woman! Love you back!

    ReplyDelete