Sunday, January 16, 2011

40 and more

Turning 40 isn't so bad.   I guess to be completely honest, I never thought it would be.  To me, age has always been a non issue for the most part.  Yeah, getting older is the pits in some ways, like having the 'ladies' act like they are praying to mecca, and wrinkles appearing where there weren't any before, knees cracking under pressure and that sort of thing.  The whole thing of being out of shape isn't fun either, except that has more to do with me just being plain lazy rather than age.........   So, all in all, 40 isn't bad.
Looking back, I couldn't wait until I got older so people would have to take me seriously.  When I had kids I thought it would happen..... nope.    When I turned 25 I thought I would have felt older or at least more mature........ definitely not! Surely at 30 I was going to be taken serious........  was that a joke?  Well, i've arrived at the very mature age of 40 and very few people still take me seriously, so I guess I'll have to rethink that whole pipe dream.
   
Another really cool aspect of my birthday,  and whether it's because it's my fortieth or not is a different story, is that I've been blessed with lots of people who wish me happy birthday all over facebook and friends who call me and sing silly songs to me (yeah that really happened). I've come to appreciate the friends and family I have immensely more  than I did when i was 20 or 30.   It's not that I didn't love them, it's just that I didn't understand the importance of appreciating those who love me.  That might sound odd.  I guess it is odd. I've always been one to want to pick up and move every few years.......  Ron is JUST starting to get to think that idea isn't so bad.   The moving part, not the every few years part.    The funny thing is, I'm starting to think I wouldn't want to.  We talked about it last night.   I came to the conclusion that I think I would actually be sad to move.  I have got the best friends any person could ask for......  no, really, I do.... and I love being close to my mom and dad and Ron's mom and sister.  My hope is that when the kids finish school they decide to get jobs someplace really awesome so we can just go stay with them for a few weeks and drive them nuts. 
 
Today also makes me think about my mom.  I'm thankful that she had me.  I'm glad she decided that they needed me even though I am 9 years younger than my sister......  I'm not sure if I'd want to start over with another baby after tasting 9 years of diaper free time.   Well, not tasting the diapers, but you get the idea.

So all that being said..............turning 40 isn't so bad ............

1 comment:

  1. Awww...I <3 you! I'm glad you had a great day! I'll always take you seriously (well, kind of)....Isn't it funny how blessed we realize we are with age? Maybe that's the true gift of getting older.

    ReplyDelete